How to Install VMware ESXi 6.7/VMware ESXi 6.5 on PC/Laptop using VMware Workstation 14? – As you know, VMware ESXi is a server virtualization solution. In fact, you can test VMware ESXi by installing it on a physical server.
How to Install VMware ESXi 6.7/VMware ESXi 6.5 on PC/Laptop using VMware Workstation 14?
Instead of a physical server, you can install and run VMware ESXi 6.7/6.5 to your computer using VMware Workstation. But you may experience performance problems. If the hardware features of your computer are good, you can get more performance from the virtual machine.
In the previous article, we gave information about What is VMware ESXi. And then, we created a new virtual machine for VMware ESXi. In this article, we will install VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7 step by step using the VMware Workstation 14 Pro virtualization program.
Before we start installing VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7, let’s take a look at the system requirements.
VMware ESXi 6.5 System Requirements
- The server for VMware ESXi 6.5 must have a minimum of 2 cores.
- The virtualization feature (Intel VT-x / AMD-RVI) must be active on the server to be installed the VMware ESXi 6.5.
- For ESXi 6.5, NX/XD must be enabled for CPU (Processor) in BIOS.
- For ESXi 6.5 there must be a minimum of 4 GB of physical RAM. However, it is recommended to use 8 GB of RAM to run virtual machines more efficiently.
- For ESXi 6.5, x64-bit x86 processors released after September 2006 are supported. For more information, go to http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility.
- It must be one or more GigabitEthernet/FastEthernet network adapter. For more information, go to http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility.
VMware ESXi 6.7 System Requirements
- ESXi 6.7 requires a host machine with at least two CPU cores.
- ESXi 6.7 supports 64-bit x86 processors released after September 2006. This includes a broad range of multi-core processors. For a complete list of supported processors, see the VMware compatibility guide at http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility.
- ESXi 6.7 requires the NX/XD bit to be enabled for the CPU in the BIOS.
- ESXi 6.7 requires a minimum of 4 GB of physical RAM. It is recommended to provide at least 8 GB of RAM to run virtual machines in typical production environments.
- To support 64-bit virtual machines, support for hardware virtualization (Intel VT-x or AMD RVI) must be enabled on x64 CPUs.
- One or more Gigabit or faster Ethernet controllers. For a list of supported network adapter models, see the VMware Compatibility Guide at http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility.
- SCSI disk or a local, non-network, RAID LUN with unpartitioned space for the virtual machines.
- For Serial ATA (SATA), a disk connected through supported SAS controllers or supported on-board SATA controllers. SATA disks are considered remote, not local. These disks are not used as a scratch partition by default because they are seen as remote.
After reviewing the VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7 system requirements, we can proceed to the VMware ESXi installation steps.
Update (April 22, 2018): How to Install VMware ESXi 6.7?
How to Install and Configure VMware ESXi in VMware Workstation?
If you have not done VMware Workstation before, you can look at the following articles for VMware installation on Windows and Linux systems.
Before moving on to setting up VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7 on a VMware virtual machine, we recommend that you read the article titled How to Create Virtual Machine for VMware ESXi!
After creating a new virtual machine for VMware ESXi, click the Browse button to add the ESXi 6.5 ISO file from CD/DVD.
Select the VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0-4564106.x86_64.ISO file and click the Open button.
Run the VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7 virtual machine by clicking Power on this virtual machine.
Press Enter on the ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-standard installer option.
ESXi installation is starting…
Preparing installation files for ESXi…
Press the Enter button to continue in the Welcome to VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7 installation window.
Press F11 to accept the license agreement.
Wait while scanning existing devices.
Select the physical disk you have added to the virtual machine and press Enter.
Press the Enter button to confirm disk selection.
Type your root password and press Enter.
Click the F11 button to confirm the VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7 installation.
Wait while ESXi 6.5/6.7 is installing…
Installation of ESXi has been successfully completed! Press Enter on the Remove the installation media before rebooting option.
ESXi is restarting…
After completing the VMware ESXi installation on VMware Workstation, it automatically received the 192.168.238.153 IP address from the DHCP server.
To connect to VMware ESXi 6.5, type the 192.168.238.153 IP address in the Internet Explorer address line and press Enter.
When you give an ESXi certificate error, first click on More information and then click the go on to webpage (not recommended).
After successfully connecting to VMware ESXi 6.7/6.5, type root in the username field and click on the Log in button after typing the password you set in the password field.
If you want to participate in the VMware customer experience program, tick the Join CEIP checkbox and click on the OK button.
After connecting VMware ESXi 6.7/6.5, the first view is as follows!
How to Install VMware ESXi 6.7/VMware ESXi 6.5 on PC/Laptop using VMware Workstation 14? ⇒ Video
For VMware ESXi 6.7/6.5 installation step-by-step using VMware, you can watch the following video and also subscribe to our YouTube channel to support us!
In this article, we have installed VMware ESXi with the VMware Workstation 14 Pro virtualization program on the Windows 10 operating system. Thanks for following us!
If this article is helpful, send me feedback by commenting! Thanks in advance, take care of yourself!
Also, you can add to browser bookmarks by pressing the CTRL+D to read this article later!